Sorry for the top of my head being cut off in the last vlog!
To clarify: What are the 'institutions' I will be talking about?
I'll be looking at both state and private (charity) institutions.
2) Courts and Law
5) Mental Institutions / Lunatic Asylums
At the moment I am beginning to focus on ideas around reflexivity in my research - who am I? So here are some aspects of who I am...
- I have been an interpreter for 9 years
- I do not come from a Deaf family
- I've been working with the Deaf community for about 15 years
- I did a Master's thesis in DCU about Deaf politics
- I worked on Hands On as a researcher for two years
- I worked in the Irish Deaf Society as Administrator
- I received my Interpreting Diploma from CDS in 2005, so I've been a professional interpreter for 9 years now.
So that's me; a quick summary anyway. What I'm hoping to do now is investigate who 'I' am a little further. The biases and baggage I may bring to my research, and also the crucial discussion of power when it comes to research processes and production.
Obviously the aspects of 'me' I have outlined here will all need examination and dissection over the coming months! I'm looking forward to it!