13 October 2023

New article: “I am a useful man, and no one better than me”: John Neville, the Birr Workhouse Messenger


Delighted to have been published in Offaly Heritage no. 12, which was launched a couple of weeks ago.


At the launch, Michael Byrne, the Secretary of Offaly History, mentioned the article:

"The most affecting essay here was Cormac Leonard’s on John Neville, a deaf inmate at Birr workhouse. Neville became well known in Birr through his role as the workhouse messenger and latterly he was even assisting in the clerical administration of the workhouse. Now he was seen as a figure of fun in Birr and his life was not an easy one, but he certainly made the most of himself and his situation. He was a prolific writer of letters to the Birr board of guardians, wherein he made requests and offered advice. The highlight of Nevill’s year would be when he went on a deaf retreat in Cabra where he could communicate using sign language with other deaf people. There is a lovely quote from his letter to the Birr board of guardians:

‘I beg to return you my most sincere thanks for enabling me to be present at the Christmas entertainment at Cabra. I have not spent such a happy Christmas for twenty years. There were more than 200 deaf mutes present, they were in roars of laughter for over an hour, in which I heartily joined. I shall never forget that pleasant night.’ "


More information at https://offalyhistoryblog.wordpress.com/2023/10/04/offaly-heritage-12-a-new-book-of-essays-on-the-history-of-county-offaly/.

No comments:

Post a Comment